Rich in history, Buffalo Point has always been a gathering place for
the Anishinabe people dating back to the 1700's when Chief Red Cloud and
the Sioux frequented the area until the 1800's when the Ojibwa started
to move in.
Many battles ensued over control of Lake of the Sandhills, which was
the original name of Lake of the Woods.
In 1857 Gladman, Hind and Dawson explored this route with the
assistance of the Ojibwa. Eventually it was Simon Dawson who found the
route at the Northwest Angle, known today as the Dawson Trail.
Chief Ayashwash signed treaty number three for Buffalo Point at the
Northwest Angle in 1873. In 1900 Little Thunder, the son of Ayashwash,
became Chief followed by Old Jim Thunder until 1941. "Shorty" Warren
Thunder was appointed next until 1969 when he retired and appointed his
nephew Jim Thunder. Chief Jim Thunder drove the development of a Master
Plan for the resort in the early 1970's, building the foundation of the
destination resort including roads, the marina and cottages.
In 1997 John Thunder was selected as the sixth hereditary Chief in
the history of Buffalo Point First Nation. Taking the reins from his
father, John led the completion of the Lake of the Sandhills Golf Course
and fast-tracked developments including the Native Cultural Centre and
the Resort Centre featuring the Fire & Water Bistro and Island Green
As the vision of Buffalo Point Resort as a World-class destination
resort continues to unfold, John is now focused on the exciting, final
phase of the original
Development Plan: a hotel, spa and casino.